DAY I: ANOTHER INITIATIVE
After roughly one and a half days of travel, we decided to take our first stop in St. Louis Missouri. Although St. Louis wasn’t initially a destination that we planned on stopping at, after recognizing the large amounts of time we would be spending on the road passing through big cities and podunk towns, we decided that we could expand the mission of this trip from just doing research on Emily King. Since our journey was initially focused on our ancestors we thought it would be a reasonable idea to stop at some of the historic African American Landmarks that reside in the cities we are passing through. In St. Louis, Missouri we were astounded to be led by the locals down to “The Old Courthouse” in which the infamous Dred Scott and his wife Harriett appealed to the state of Missouri, in a fight for their freedom. A historian was able to tell us about the case of Dred Scott in more depth, and show us a video of an interactive session they have called “Dred Scott: A Legacy of Courage.” in which memorial goers can reenact Scotts trial. Traveling on the open road has been fun as always, but I think on this trip in particular, I have taken more time than usual to absorb the sights that I have seen, and appreciate the journey I am taking. Looking out over rural farmlands and driving through bustling city streets has let me take a look into the lives that people live in middle America. I have walked around and grabbed a bite to eat in places who’s antiquated appliances made me feel as if I was caught in the 90’s and I have also had the ability to sit in the bumper to bumper traffic of busy urban areas. Seeing the way that people live across the country has given me greater appreciation for the life I am able to live today, and in turn it gives me a greater appreciation for my ancestors like Emily King, and makes me recognize the importance of figures like Dred Scott. These people are the reason why this trip is so important to me, because understanding their importance is everything my grandfather, who inspired me to pursue this Spring at Sage, ever wanted. Please stay tuned for more information regarding each days journey and stay on the look out for videos, poetry, and more writing regarding my experience.


Miles, this is another moving post. I am so thankful that you are organically finding other avenues to explore on your journey. Each year after finishing English III and our study of American literature, I long to explore more of this country. Keep looking for and making those important connections between yourself and your ancestors. I look forward to seeing more of your adventure through pictures and videos. Also, I cannot wait for the poetry!
ReplyDeleteI love the evolution of your journey in looking at the scope of African American history in connection with your personal journey. In future posts, can you also include more pictures- I would love to see the reenactment of the Scott Trials or the 90s appliances- I think it would be something you would enjoy seeing too.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a special trip, and I am so glad that you have expanded your scope beyond your own family while still reflecting on how many others have had an impact on your own life. Feel free to make this a bit more 'personal blog' than 'school assignment blog' so that you can reflect on your experiences for yourself to look back on, or even share with your family. Pictures, reflections, thoughts, drawings, music, I think that this is a once-in-a-lifetime journey and I am just glad to follow along.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you went to the courthouse where Dred Scott had his court case! We have learned so much about this topics in APUSH, so that makes visiting that location even more thrilling. That is so wonderful that you are acquiring greater appreciation for your life by observing others along the way in your journey. If you can, please post pictures of where you are! Have fun!
ReplyDelete'
This sounds like a great experience and an opportunity to reflect on African American history as well as your family's.
ReplyDeleteYour spontaneous stop at St. Louis seemed very informative and helpful to you and learning about African American history! Hope you have a great rest of your trip!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are making the most of the drive as exhilarating it is to sit in a car for hours on end. Though the pit stops along the way seem intriguing. It is amazing that you are learning about history as well! Can't wait to hear more of your adventures along with your search!
ReplyDeleteI love this post, Miles. It shows your passion for this trip, and it makes me happy that you are so involved. I really think that it is amazing that you went to the court and learned more about the case on Dred Scott. Your trip so far seems awesome!! Reading your post also makes me feel grateful about the standard of living that I get to enjoy every day. Thank you so much for this post. Keep us updated!!
ReplyDeleteI agree completely with Mrs. Dear, please create these posts with their future significance to you in mind. The "antiquated appliances" from the 90s comment made me laugh. What did you see that made you say this? Do take in the sights as you drive. I have wonderful memories of cross country trips that my family took. And, we did not have as clear a mission as you. I am looking forward to reading your poetry and accounts of family conversations regarding Emily King. Also, the opening pic is a big improvement over the cat.
ReplyDeleteI love how passionate you and your family is to finding out more about your history! I could never imagine traveling to such great lengths for such a thing, but the fact that you are is absolutely incredible. I hope you find great things, whether it be about your history or not.
ReplyDelete